Return to Play: Vaccination announcement regarding 2021-22 basketball season – Ontario Basketball Association
- September 3, 2021 (Whitby, ON) – On September 1, 2021, the Government of Ontario announced its decision to require, beginning on Sept. 22, 2021, proof of full vaccination (two doses plus 14-day waiting period) for access to certain indoor facilities, including indoor “facilities used for sports and fitness activities and personal fitness training, such as gyms, fitness and recreational facilities with the exception of youth recreational sport.”
The Government’s regulations in this regard are not yet publicly available to review. OBA will review them when they are available.
- Based on the Government’s announcement, and various trends, OBA plans to require (subject to any additional developments in this area) proof of vaccination at Ontario Basketball games and events for the 2021-22 season subject to any Government-mandated exceptions regarding youth recreational sport and subject to legitimate exemptions based on Ontario’s Human Rights Code. Children who are 11 years of age and younger and unable to be vaccinated will also be exempted from these requirements.
- As the pandemic continues, it is Ontario Basketball’s responsibility to take all reasonable steps within its power to reduce the spread of COVID-19. High vaccine uptake in Ontario, when paired with other public health measures, masking, and physical distancing, is essential to ensure a safe sport environment for all during the 2021-22 basketball season.
- Ontario Basketball will issue as soon as practical additional details regarding its vaccination mandate in accordance with Government regulations and public health requirements and recommendations.
- In the interim, Ontario Basketball reminds its members to adhere to provincial and regional public health guidelines for Step 3 of the provincial re-opening framework when participating in basketball activities. Please refer to Ontario Basketball’s Return to Play – Step 3 Guidelines for additional information.
- Ontario Basketball would like to thank the membership for their ongoing support during this challenging time.